Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Boston Strong

My stop in Boston was the longest I've had since I hit the road a month ago, so even though there was a lot else going on, I got to spend a good amount of time exploring one of my favorite cities. My friend M introduced me to the Brookline Booksmith and the great Coolidge Corner area, which somehow I don't think I ever went to during my college years. We were lusting after the decorative paper products.


Then I met my friend D at City Feed in Jamaica Plain and got a tour from her of that neighborhood, which I'd also not been at all familiar with in college.


One night with my family, we battled in the insane traffic on Atlantic Ave to go to dinner in the North End, which is one of my absolute favorite spots in Boston. Not only is it the Italian part of town, but it is a key part of the Freedom Trail, including Paul Revere's unassuming house and Paul Revere Square. (That's the Old North Church silhouetted against the night sky in the second pic down, and a mini memorial for the marathon bombing victims beneath the statue.)




The full-fledged marathon bombing memorial that has developed in Copley Square is a sombre but powerful scene, with throngs of people paying their respects and news vans perpetually parked on the sidelines.


But no doubt such an amazing city will rebound, better than ever. The beauty of springtime definitely looked good on Boston this visit....


No comments:

Post a Comment