Thursday, April 25, 2013

Formative years

Yet another revisiting of a place I once lived, with all of the strong associations and memories that brings up as I drive roads I used to know. I was lucky enough to go to college near Boston, and on the way into town, I stopped to see a friend who still lives in the area, along with her daughter. Half a decade has passed since our last meeting, but strange how you can pick up right where you left off with people you are really connected to.


Ditto for the incredibly sweet mother of a girl I used to babysit in the town where my college is...


...the college itself, more beautiful than ever in the full glory of springtime....



...and a professor I've kept in touch with over the years. Next to her sits her son, who was born my last semester in school. I was his first babysitter, when he was about three days old. As we now watched him run a track meet at a neighboring high school, zooming past the other competitors at amazing speeds, she reminded me how nervous she'd been with him as a newborn. "Is he breathing? Does that sound like normal breathing?" she asked the 22 year-old version of me several times as I sat holding his tiny, 6-lb body in the crook of my arm. "He's perfect," I told her.


No comments:

Post a Comment