Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Wisconsin, USA

It's tricky to blog in a travel phase consisting mostly of visiting and talking with friends who live in places I've been before. The fun, exciting part of this leg of the journey is catching up with so many people I love, which isn't very blogger-friendly. So forgive the sporadic posts and paltry pictures....

My first stop in WI was Edgerton, to visit a great family friend from my childhood and her own family. Her son and I had matching shoes.


From there, I went on to spend two nights in Madison visiting my lovely friends L and K. My memories of Madison revolve mostly around Easters and Christmases with my aunt and cousins, who lived there in a split level house at the end of an idyllic cul-de-sac when I was growing up, and then a few spotted high school memories of summer programs and being carted in by the busload when our basketball team went to state. All my memories are fond, if vague. Fun to go back as an adult and see my friends living there as adults. It really is a great city, and not just because Winter is starting to release her claw-like grip on it.





After a proper, WI-level number of calories had been consumed at Monty's, I drove through the blinding spring rain...


...for the last leg "home," to the suburb of Milwaukee where I grew up. Waiting for me inside a cozy coffee shop were three of the most comforting women I know: my mom (right) and N and S, her friends of four decades, who were fixtures in my childhood and are still some of the kindest, sweetest women on the planet.


It was a too-short, 24-hr visit home, but complete with sights you'd expect of Wisconsin...


...along with some you might not...


...and the never disappointing fun and comfort of hanging out for awhile in my parents, in the house I grew up in, and the town I knew before any others.

No comments:

Post a Comment