Saturday, May 1, 2021

Toolik Field Station

 My job for the next couple months is Kitchen Assistant at Toolik Field Station, a site for a variety of Arctic research projects (click here for the station website and TONS more info) on the northern slope of the Brooks Range, sandwiched between Gates of the Arctic National Park and the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. (If you type Toolik Lake into Google Maps you'll be able to see where I'm located in relation to...everything else on the planet.)

I'll give you a whole bunch of glimpses into my time here in the coming weeks. But to start, you can see how things appeared to me as I was first settling in.

Standing at the edge of Toolik Lake looking back at camp:


And then looking back at the lake, still frozen from the long, cold winter:


Caribou crossing the tundra in the distance...


My cozy room in a dry, double-wide trailer. Though I have to go elsewhere for running water, I do have electricity. And even Wifi!


And the lovely view out  my window of the Brooks Range. 

Not too shabby a start!


No comments:

Post a Comment