Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A Cookie Jon Food Tour of NYC

The Executive Chef at the org where I worked in Denver is a swell guy whose credits are too many to list here. Suffice it to say that even if he wasn't a native New Yorker, he's the one I'd ask for advice on where to eat while visiting the Big Apple. But since he is a native New Yorker, the advice led me off, as well as on, the beaten trail to an extravaganza of enjoyable overeating. Neither my wallet nor my time afforded me visiting all of the places he recommended, but I did as best I could and that was pretty darn good, in every sense. In what follows, the italics are from Jon's message to me....

There are lots of ramen places in NYC, but then there’s Cocoron Soba at 61 Delancy. Go for lunch, show up early. Super authentic, tiny and delicious.



Lots of tourists go to Eataly...



...but check out the Madison Square Market across the street.


Oh, and speaking of markets, go to the Chelsea Market.



OK, I am also a deli fan, especially the older ones. There are lots like Katz’s and 2nd Avenue delis. But I really love the smoked fish shops like Russ and Daughters and Barney Greengrass. Such a throwback—very NYC.


While you’re down there in Brooklyn, get on the train towards Coney Island and get off a stop before at Brighton Beach. The whole area is Russian/Ukrainian, even the signs are in Russian. The food and cultural immersion is quite fascinating to experience. Once you’re immersed, walk the boardwalk from Brighton to Coney Island and have a dog at Nathan’s.


(I didn't actually get a hot dog, as I was way more tempted by the chocolate ice.)



Now the challenging one, simply because of its location. L&B Spumoni Gardens is in Brooklyn just off the N line at 86th Street. I used to go here almost every week when I was a kid. The best thing about it is that it’s a great place to people watch and eavesdrop. The place gets an interesting mix of project dwellers, cops, neighborhood regulars and wiseguys (for real). Just sit back on the patio with a slice of “square” and open up your ears. It’s awesome.




And the people watching was just as spectacular as promised. I swear, a police van pulled up just a few minutes after I arrived and the two cops in front sat, double-parked, in the van while a third emerged from the back to fetch dinner for them all, urged on through the open window to be quick about it. I also saw more thick gold chain necklaces on teenage boys' necks I could have imagined.


I can't wait to see what Jon suggests the next time I visit NYC...

No comments:

Post a Comment