Sunday, March 22, 2020

Sailing off into...

As far as I know Coronavirus itself hasn't yet reached Antarctica...but it sure is wreaking havoc here. This week were supposed to be wrapping up all our projects and preparing for the arrival of the winter crew on the 29th, do a week of turn-over, and then hop aboard the LMG. (Pictured below sailing away into this GORGEOUS sunset less than a week ago to head back to Chile with a chunk of our summer population.) 

But due to the increasing complications of international--or any--travel, specifically Chile closing its borders right about the time this boat was sailing away, the winter crew was unable to come south. So decisions were made at high levels in the ASC program and the NSF that the program's other research vessel, the NBP, would swing through here next week on its own way north to pick up the remaining scientists on station and take them, with the other scientists it already has on board, and get them home any way possible, leaving the support staff here until things calm down and the winter-overs are able to make it south. It was becoming clear that the soonest I would then get home would be late May or early June. So, thanks to my co-worker C's willingness to stay on and cover the last batch of cargo that will be coming in to supply the station...hopefully...at some point...I decided to get out while the getting is good, preferring to ride out the Coronavirus storm with my family than isolated in Antarctica. 

So if things go according to plan, I'll be hopping on the NBP on Tuesday for the 3-4 day trip north to Chile. What happens at that point is still to be determined, so I'll have to send another update when the time comes...and I also have a whole bunch more Palmer pictures to post that I was planning to put up during my last couple weeks here that will now have to be after the fact. So, stay tuned, and we'll see how this all goes!


No comments:

Post a Comment