Monday, November 6, 2017

Quito

Phase One (of 3) of this two-month adventure is over, and I have nothing but good things to say about wandering Ecuador for three weeks with old and new friends, backpacker-style.

And now, Phase Two has begun--Phase Two being a two-week, organized tour of the Galapagos and Machu Picchu with my parents and really close family friends/honorary parents from Australia. These four loved ones have arrived in Quito, where I met up with them for a full-day, whirlwind tour of the big city.

We took the Teleferico up Pichincha volcano to the east of the city and had a nice walk around up there at 13,000+ feet.


Lovely lupines up there.


Then we went to the hilltop where the Virgin Mary statue overlooks the city, and where a bunch of Ecuadorian families were sweetly hanging out and enjoying the holiday (All Souls Day) weekend.


And the views of the city were pretty spectacular.


From there we headed down into Old Town and toured around to see sites such as the President's Palace and the Franciscan cathedral.


Lastly, we went north of the city to the Equator exhibit, which had llamas...


...and all kinds of cultural exhibits and equatorial pseudo-science tricks, which were fun but silly. So weird that a year ago right now I was at 90 degrees south, and now here I am standing at 0 degrees, in two hemispheres at once, with my parents.


From here we head to the Galapagos, where I'm not sure how much internet I'll be able to access for the next week. So don't be disturbed by a delay before the next post. I'll be back...

No comments:

Post a Comment