Thursday, November 9, 2017

Galapagos (part 1)

I knew I was excited to go to the Galapagos, but what I've learned since I got here is that I didn't actually know enough about the Galapagos to be as excited as I should have been. This really is an incredible place that has no problem living up to the hype. WOW.

There have been some incredible beaches that we've stopped at for hikes, snorkeling, kayaking, paddleboarding, and just strolling.


But mostly, of course, it's the wildlife that steals the show. I really cannot describe to you how ridiculously many sea lions live here, and how cute they are.


Then there are the marine iguanas, a truly strange and amazing creature that has developed these crazy adaptations (such as: going in the water to eat algae and not needing to breathe for up to an hour at a time) to live here.


One of my absolute favorites so far has been the Waved Albatross; we got to see them doing their hilarious, endearing mating dance as well as taking off over the ocean.


And then there are the Boobies. Pics of red- and blue-footed ones to come, but these guys weren't too shabby either. I especially love watching them dive-bomb the water as they search for dinner.


The color of these omnipresent crabs against the black volcanic rock of the islands is so festive!


And then there's the vegetation. Even the cacti have evolved into this weird gigantism version--they look like they have trunks!


And I don't have an underwater camera so can't show you a clear pic, but I've not only seen dozens of sea turtles from the surface, but while snorkeling I've gotten to swim along with a couple of them. Completely breathtaking, and not just because of the surprising coldness of the water.


This is really just the beginning. More to come. This place is unbelievable.

No comments:

Post a Comment