Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Weekly snapshot #53

The day was beautiful! The weather was PERFECT for incoming planes! And so we were supposed to get our first two Hercs (carrying a total of 55 summer people and taking away six more winter-overs) in today. Everything felt so hopeful for things getting back on schedule with flights and summer ramping-up. And then both flights were cancelled due to mechanical. Wah-wah.

So they will try again tomorrow. There is still hope for me getting back to the outside world as scheduled at the end of this week, though it's by NO means guaranteed. So this will just have to be a cliff-hanger. Maybe there will be another Friday post from Pole. (Though if I'm still at Pole on Friday I may be too bummed out to want to post!) Or maybe I will be stuck in McMurdo...or maybe I will be in Christchurch, taking long showers and sleeping 10-11 hours/night. Only time will tell. And only time will tell when I end up posting next. If this is indeed the last message from South Pole, big thanks for following along this year, and I promise there will be something other than snow in the pictures next time I post any.


Those summer crew people who have made it here are very busy operating equipment and ramping up for summer projects.


And this is just a bonus shot of me with my great co-workers, one last time.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Lindsey! I've followed your blog all winter and enjoyed every word. What an adventure. Congratulations on your achievement - a year at the South Pole and keeping your beautiful attitude! Warm wishes as you move on to your next adventure.
    Big Red hugs - Dave Ferris (Polie 2014-15)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave! So great to hear from you! We missed you this past summer. I'll definitely let you know if I make it to New England in the coming year. Wishing you well in the meantime.

      Delete