Friday, November 11, 2016

Back in New Zealand!

Magically, after a year plus on the coldest, driest, highest, windiest continent, I was back in New Zealand, almost like the whole thing was a dream.

Or maybe the dream was going out for brunch the morning of my first full day back, overwhelmed by the sight and taste of food that has not been in deep freeze storage for the better part of the past decade...


...and the colors and amazing smells of Christchurch's botanical gardens...


...or going to the restaurant Mexico specifically for its plum margarita, which I've been thinking about regularly for the past year.


After some time in Christchurch proper, I went to stay a few nights with friends of friends in the town of Kaiapoi, just a bit north of the city. Along with an absurd amount of sleeping and catching up on quiet time and internet tasks, I learned a good bit cooking wonderful dinners each night with my hosts and got quickly addicted to an Australian cooking competition show that they enjoy watching each night.

Two days consecutively (couldn't get enough!) I also took a 6-mile round-trip walk from Kaiapoi to the beach, enjoying the bucolic scenery along the way and the sight of the ocean after a fully frozen, land-locked year.



The water was COLD but I was happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment