Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Some Fairlie great time

After three nights with my lovely new Kaiapoi/Christchurch friends (dressed up, in this pic, for being on their way to the horse races for the day)...


...I headed south for three more utterly wonderful, relaxing days with my Ice friends (and part-time Kiwi residents) A & E at their hand-crafted home in Fairlie.



Any of my 2.7 readers with a frighteningly good memory might recognize these two from a visit paid them here during the Great New Zealand Tour of 2015. During that trip, there was a lot of tree cutting-down and wood-chipping going on. This time I got to experiment with a different side of things, as A had planed some of the plethora of wood in their work shed and got me set up on the power sander...


...and I proceded to go nuts making (spoiler alert, Family!) coaster and cutting-board presents for the upcoming Christmas.


Other than that and a wee bit of weeding in a pathetic attempt to earn my keep, it was an awesomely gluttonous few days of lots of sleep, bottomless cups of tea, great food, even better conversation, a walk in the rain, and trying to make sense of what's happening in America right now, from afar. Also, we woke one night to strange sounds and a subtle sliding of the earth as Kaikoura--a heavily touristed city that's a good 4.5-hour drive from where we were was hit with a significant earthquake. Very grateful for all that there were not many fatalities, though it's very lucky that I stayed south of Christchurch, as traffic north of there is completely blocked.

Too soon, it was time to leave the bucolic haven of Fairlie...


...and head back to Christchurch. Setting out, tomorrow, on the next leg of the adventure. More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment