Friday, March 25, 2016

Frosty!

Very soon, I will have to board up the window of my room--just as every window in the station will have to be covered--for the duration of the long winter darkness, as any ambient light from the station will mess up the data being collected by the telescopes down here. For now, though, I still board up my window while I sleep and uncover it during the day to get what dwindling light I can while it lasts. 

Because it's so dry here, every night I run a humidifier AND soak a towel and hang it from the laundry line running along one wall of my room. (And every morning it's completely dry again!) And since the window covering I put in every night is certainly not airtight against the window frame, the moisture that seeps behind it creates this great frosty window by each morning.


Though the window is double-paned, it's still cold to the touch in these temps, so when I go to sleep each night, the frost from the night before still hasn't melted away completely, and I recover the window with an ever-thickening layer of frost at the bottom. That ice is INSIDE, people! I think I can technically say I have a glacier in my room!


3 comments:

  1. Holy cow!!! What is it you use to board up your window? Will that stop your inside glacier? Not having windows would exacerbate my claustrophobia. I'd have to leave a peek hole. You're far braver than I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've always had a fascination with glaciers. Can you name it after yourself?

      Delete
    2. The Lindsey Glacier. I like that.

      Delete