Thursday, June 24, 2021

Imnavait revisited

One of the first non-dish-washing things I did after I got to Toolik was to go to Imnavait Creek, described in this post.

A few weeks later, I went back out with a couple of the science techs here to do the meltwater readings they had started doing every day. The place was almost unrecognizable! There was a boardwalk under all that snow that we snowshoed across last time!


And the trench I dug was now filled with slushy water.


Unfortunately, that was during one of the spates of winter-in-May we kept getting, and the creek had re-iced over too much for any measurements to be taken.

So then, in the second week of June, I went out one more time with another science tech. Sooooo crazy to see everything so melted out, now that it was solidly springtime.


Happily, this time we got to take measurements, and the tech let me do the honors. That was pretty fun. Plus I got to wear waders. Which I loved irrationally. 


This picture was taken by one of the three construction crew members who happened to be walking further up the valley to work on a windmill. Which doesn't matter for this post but which I'm sharing to set the stage for tomorrow's post...

No comments:

Post a Comment