Thursday, May 23, 2019

Working

I might end up doing more posts on working situations since that's where I spend most of my time up here, but here's at least an overview of my job at Summit as a Trades Helper.

We do have a building (called Smobile--I don't know why) that is kind of the construction office, though it doubles as a weight/exercise room, and I don't have a picture of it to share. But that's where we have our morning meetings, and the rest of the day most of us are generally working outside or elsewhere on station. It is a job that gets me more exercise than I've ever had in my life for this amount of sustained time, probably.

When we first got here, we spent a lot of time just trying to find and dig out (of the snow that blew in over the winter) and reorganize supplies in our very own Home Depot and Tool Crib.


This included locating and starting to dig in to the carpentry supplies; the carpenters usually end up building things just outside the door to Shmobile.


One of my first projects was digging out the side of the building and then assisting the electrician in fixing the wiring going into the micro-turbine power generator.


This picture was taken in the inside carp workshop, which is a good heated workspace, though not big enough for most of our projects. Here we were doing a safety training on how to operate a winch, as there will be work done in confined spaces (vaults) throughout the season and I've already gotten to be a vault attendant while an electrician did some underground (or, under-snow) work.


I've also gotten to assist on a bunch of carpentry projects. That's me on the left using a nail gun for the first time.


I also (along with my roommate and coworker, B) got fit-tested for a respirator by the station medic so that we can eventually do a painting project with some really toxic, specialized paint.


One day the electrician needed to drag a big set of wiring from The Big House out to the electric distribution shack, so five of us formed a chain gang (I'm second-to-last) and got the job done.


Probably the thing I've done the most of is shoveling. I'm on the right here after three of us (plus an ice-melter) spent a morning digging out the man-lift, Genie, from where it had been stored for the winter and consumed in snow.


That was totally worth it, as the following week I got to train as an operator of the lift. I'm on the left up in the cage at its full extension.


The view of camp from up there was spectacular....


That'll do for now, but I'll be sure to come back with fun pictures of any other particularly interesting jobs I get to work on....

No comments:

Post a Comment