Wednesday, November 20, 2013

If you'll permit me a bit of nostalgia...

It's been…
...nearly 8 months.
...30,000 miles.
...all 13 Canadian provinces and territories.
...28 U.S. states.
…a year of visiting dozens of friends I hadn't seen for 1, 3, 5, or even 10 years.
…countless new experiences, friends, and places enjoyed.

My car--otherwise known as "my home" for most of this year--sold within 24 hours of me posting it on Craigslist in Denver. I got a little melancholy watching its new owner drive it away. In all those miles, absolutely NOTHING went wrong with it except for that one flat tire in Labrador and some windshield dings. Seems crazy to sell it. But I guess its final gift to me is the funding, through its sale, of the next leg of the adventure. (Stay tuned in early 2014. Though I'll try to do at least a few posts as I spend the next six weeks enjoying the holiday season with friends and family in Colorado, Florida, and Wisconsin.) And all good things must come to an end. So farewell, trusty CR-V. You've been a reliable and appreciated travel buddy.


And though the trip may be over, the car moved on to its next life, and me moving on to the next chapter, my cheesy nostalgic memories of the journey are mine to keep. It's been a grand one.


In fact, I wouldn't mind doing it all over again in another year or two. There is much more to see in every place I went, plus so many places I had to drive on past, some friends I missed, entire sections of the continent untouched by green marker. Will have to do something about that. Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment