Monday, October 1, 2018

Crater Hill

One of the things I love about Antarctica is that it's a place where the word "boondoggle" is used in everyday conversation. AND I got to go on a short-but-sweet boondoggle last week! It was to Crater Hill, a high point above town where a bunch of IT/Comms equipment lives, and several folks from IT needed to go up to do some maintenance and had a couple extra seats to invite others along. I was really happy to be one of those others. (And especially happy that the trip finally actually happened before Mainbody started, as it was delayed day after day for almost a week due to weather and/or Pisten Bully availability.


Totally worth the wait, though. The views were amazing, the wind formidable, the PB ride an adventure, and the trip out of town: very refreshing!


When we got to the top of the ridge, the wind was so strong I could just lean back into it and it was holding me up.



There were spectacular sun dogs going...



The view back to town made it look very small and far away....



I got some satisfying ice crystals collecting on my eyelashes...




You can see Castle Rock in the background of this photo, just to the right of my jacket hood flap. And if it hadn't been overcast, you'd have been able to see mighty Mount Erebus behind that.



That's me on the left way out on that ridge. Sooooooooo beautiful!



No comments:

Post a Comment