Monday, October 22, 2018

So long, Antarctic home...

If all had gone according to the second-to-last plan, according to plan, this post would have gone live right was I am leaving Antarctica, after an almost-two-week delay. But I've gotten pushed out just a couple more days, to give me enough time to do turn-over with the incoming store clerks for a day (yesterday) and then have today and tomorrow to take apart my room and pack up to go. A bittersweet transition that I hope I'm not making for the last time. But I do hope that things actually happen as I'm expecting this time around and I fly out of here on Wednesday.


I'll leave you this time around with some links to program info, as the US Antarctic Program barrels on without me while I head to a tropical beach for some R and R.


If you click here, you can access a USAP "Science Planning Summary" booklet that outlines all of the science that will be happening in Antarctica this summer, now that we've turned things back over to all the summer people.


Here you can see a post about the record-setting delay to the start of the summer season that we just had--and, if you like, start following the National Science Foundation's Office of Polar Programs Facebook feed.


Here's an article about one of my fellow South Pole 2016 winter-overs who has done WAYYYYYY more winters than I ever will.


And here's a parting shot of Ross Sound, my vista for the past 8+ months (when we had enough sun or moonlight to actually see anything, that is). May we meet again.



But for now, the most recent galley whiteboard drawing says it all....





No comments:

Post a Comment