Thursday, April 26, 2018

Weekly snapshot #9

I'm cheating a little here and giving you a picture from yesterday morning at 10am and the accompanying weather snapshot, because yesterday we had our first real inclement weather in town and it was irrationally exciting for me. It never actually got to Condition 1, though at one point they thought it might and rope lines were set up leading from the main building (where I work) to the dorms. By the time I closed up the store for the night, the winds had died down and they'd released the rope lines. But here's a shot from when I went into work that morning, 10 hours earlier.




So fantastically eerie, and the very bright white light on the post on the left side of the frame is meaningful: it's the Condition 2 warning light. I'm told that in Condition 1, a set of bright red lights appears on the very top section of the pole, though I have to imagine that at times that wouldn't even be visible in real Con 1 conditions.

I also like the weather report for that same time, since it's not the Condition 3, green-across-the-board showing that I'm usually posting.


I'm told that at one point in the early evening (while I was busy with having the store open), every location in the vicinity EXCEPT McMurdo town was in Con 1. But the temps stayed this warm through the whole thing, which is so striking to me. I have definitely re-adapted to life in Antarctica at this point, because 14F feels absurdly warm out to me, for sure. Even when there's a Con 2 wind whipping.



No comments:

Post a Comment