Thursday, April 5, 2018

Weekly snapshot #6

It's happening! McMurdo at high noon currently looks more like dusk. Time to start saying goodbyes to the sun.



It's been really nice out, though. Yesterday felt cold, and when I checked the temp, it was -13F, which I think is the coldest I've seen since I've been here. But at the same time, there was almost no wind, and with how dry it is here, that temp doesn't even feel that bad. And look, today is practically balmy!










Also, a couple extras for you in this week's snapshot. I should have sent this earlier, but there is on-line access to two live-feed cameras pointed at McMurdo from different directions, so that you can see town activity, the skies, and the weather. Check them out (the Ob Hill cam and the Arrival Heights cam) by clicking here.


Finally, I was walking from the building where I work across the street to my dorm last week, and was struck by how still and gorgeous it was out, with a beautiful sunset. Another winter-over (who, coincidentally, is the only person here this winter who I know from summering with at South Pole) had the same thought and was heading to the edge of town to try to get a picture of the sunset without all the power lines in it. And when we got there, a third person had had the same idea as well and was setting up a time-lapse camera behind the "Welcome to McMurdo" sign there, where it would be blocked from the wind. Once we got out to that viewpoint, of course, the wind totally kicked up and I was not at all dressed for that so I fled back inside right after a quick picture. But it actually turned out to be a great shot. Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment