Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Lago di Tota

In addition to wanting to see Mongui and the Paramo, I wanted to check out Sugamuxi because the region has Colombia's largest lake: Lago di Tota.


The pictures are a little bleak-looking, as it was a pretty drizzly morning, but the first sight of the lake coming over the pass really was breathtaking. My first lakeside stop was the town of Aquitania, where it was fun watching the locals wander by and taking a close-up look at the onion farms that abound at the lake's shore.





Moving on from Aquitania, my second lakeside stop was Playa Blanca, one of the highest beaches in the world, sitting at 3015m. Those crazy people swimming were trying to get me to come in the water, which was REALLY COLD. A little wade in up to my knees sufficed.


Then I went to the beachside restaurant and tried some of the freshwater trout that the lake is famous for providing far and wide in Colombia.


From Playa Blanca, a third bus took me away from the lake, through other Sugamuxi villages...


...to the town of Iza, where I took a dip in the Erika hot springs, which were just so cozy and lovely.


Iza is also famous for its meringue desserts, which I may or may have not sampled. Let's just say that if it's true that you are what you eat, I am a little bit Colombian after today.


No comments:

Post a Comment