Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Weekly snapshot #27

It's not actually THAT cold out today, but the wind was really blowing and it felt relatively humid (for the driest continent on the planet), and the result was a very chilly-feeling day. And it is dark out today, dark dark dark. Coworker/friend K and I were walking the kilometer out to the ARO building and I was extremely grateful for the flaglines...and kind of wishing the flags were a little closer together. The compensation was that the auroras were AMAZING--best I've seen so far, bright green and dancing across the entire sky. I could even see some purplish/red twinges, which is less common to see with the naked eye. Just gorgeous. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me then, and two hours later when I was taking the weekly snapshot, the auroras were gone and the frame is black, as I think is going to be pretty much the case for months to come. I included a bonus shot at the bottom of what happened when I first tried to take the snapshot but forgot to turn off the flash. Lots of snow suspended in the air and wind. And, like I said, dark--so dark that when I turned around to walk the six steps back into the station, I had some trouble locating the door!




No comments:

Post a Comment