Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Weekly Snapshot #6

It's a heat wave at the South Pole! I'm pretty sure this is warmer than it EVER got last summer (I think our high was -9). And someone told me that overnight (which doesn't mean much since the sun never sets these days) it was at one point -0.7 degrees F! I think the highest temp ever recorded at South Pole was +9 degrees, a few years ago. I definitely don't hope we break that record. Just seems wrong. In the meantime, we're enjoying the balmy temps and uncharacteristically volatile weather. A few hours before I took this pic, it was very windy and the skies were white with blowing snow and clouds, and as I type this it's back to that...but the window during the picture was gorgeous! And there was even a scientist walking back to the station from South Pole Telescope, to give you some perspective and a splash of red in the photo...



No comments:

Post a Comment