Saturday, December 12, 2015

Knit at Pole

My amazing, generous mother and her amazing, generous friends sent me off to Antarctica with boxes of supplies following me via the mail: specifically, knitting supplies!

So once the craziness of the start of the season faded, I started a weekly knitting night in the Quiet Reading Room of the station. Before that even started, my friend C (of frozen eyelash fame from last year's posts) found this orangey ball of yarn in the craft room that PERFECTLY matches her jacket, and I coached her through making a headband, about which she was crazy excited.


Shortly thereafter, I convened a Monday evening knitting group. Our first meeting, 10 people showed up, including 4 men, 3 of whom already had experience knitting. I was really impressed at the turn-out and how quickly the beginners caught on (including the guy in the upper right of this photo, who had to spend the first 10 minutes just trying to find an end in a very confusing ball of yarn). We had a great time and I'm hopeful Monday night knitting will continue and flourish through out the summer season--and maybe the whole year.




No comments:

Post a Comment