Thursday, October 31, 2013

White Sands

About 12 years ago, I first visited the other-worldly landscape of White Sands National Monument. I left vowing to myself that I'd return again someday to spend more time and camp out in the sands under the pristine desert sky.

I have finally returned, though camping was still not in the cards. (The adjacent missile testing zone for the military causes occasional closures of the park, and camping happened to be forbidden the night I showed up.) But the white dunes are as surreal as I remember. And I left vowing to myself, once again, that I will return someday to spend more time and camp out in the sands under the pristine desert sky. 

In the meantime, some snapshots of this particular brand of amazingness. This is sand, not snow, folks!










1 comment:

  1. I went body surfing in the white sands park. I had more sand in unknown places than you would believe. :-)

    ReplyDelete