Saturday, October 12, 2013

North of the Bay

Backtracking a bit after my time in S.F., I headed north to see a slew of terrific people.

First, a yummy Thai dinner in Davis with my Peace Corps Madagascar friend E and her husband Y.


Then, a jaunt over to Elk Grove/Sacramento to spend a day with my cousin P, who introduced me to the horse(s) he loves despite their penchant for throwing him to the ground on occasion.


Though the horses live off-property, his house with his girlfriend and her daughter is a veritable menagerie, including four chinchillas. I got to see them take a bath (i.e., roll around in volcanic ash). Somehow, I don't think I've ever seen a chinchilla before, and they're so cute I can't believe they're not more popular pets.


From P's, I headed over to Santa Rosa to see his mother, my precious auntie who is also a P.


My two days with her went way too quickly, and before I knew it, it was time to head through miles of Sonoma County vineyards...


...over to Napa, where my great friend E lives with her husband and their two daughters.


While I stopped teaching, totally burned out after our two post-college years in Teach For America, E is a born kindergarten teacher and is still going strong at a progressive school in Napa. It was such fun to see her in action and spend a day with her adorable class.


We also got away for an evening in Calistoga. I floated in this pool at Indian Springs for about four hours. If I'd stayed in any longer, they'd have had to hoist my pruney body out with large machinery. Fantastic.


Again, too soon, it was time to say goodbye to E and family and get back in the Silver Bullet...


...southbound!

No comments:

Post a Comment