Friday, June 28, 2013

Montréal

If Québec City is the Venice of Canadian cities--immediately, visually gorgeous and charming--then I think Montréal is its Rome. Big city, but so rich in variety and hidden gems, with more to notice and appreciate with each passing day.

I had the great fortune of spending my time in Montréal with Francophone CouchSurfing hosts, V and F, who truly made my visit. They took me out for my first poutine (the Québecois culinary, calorie-packed creation that starts with fries, gravy, and cheese curds, and goes from there)...


...took me for a long walk around the city that they clearly love so much (and I can understand why!)...


...gave me advice on what to do when exploring on my own (including checking out the hip Plateau neighborhood, with all its winding front staircases)...


...and alerted me to the bagel rivalry I hadn't known of between NYC and Montréal. I did try a fresh bagel from an impressive operation in Mile End (a neighborhood so like parts of Brooklyn that I kept forgetting where I was) and it was great, but I will reserve judgment on which city wins the contest for best bagel.


I even went to an improv show in French with V, which flew mostly over my head, but was a great experience nonetheless, especially as we went out afterward with some of her friends for more Montréal fun. Here is us showing ENTHUSIAM for this great city and life in general.


My last morning in town, a steady rain foiled my plans to climb to the lookout in Mont Royal city park, so instead I went to a yoga class. It turned out to be bilingual, with two teachers tag-teaming the instruction. SUCH a great class. I left the city floating on air and looking forward to returning some day. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment