Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Around Copenhagen

There were a few places around Zealand (the region of Denmark that includes Copenhagen) that I'd read about as nice day trips from the city. So I got a train pass and did some exploring.

There is a significant Viking history in Denmark, though they did not base themselves in the hopeless flats of Copenhagen, preferring the fjord area at the modern-day town of Roskilde. I headed there to get a gander at some reproductions of Viking ships and the actual fjord they sailed.


Hilariously, it's hard to even tell this is a fjord. We're definitely still in Denmark, rather than the dramatic landscapes of Norway...


From Roskilde, I went on to the medieval town of Køge, which was definitely a quaint place to wander for a couple of hours and have an ice cream.



I also stopped at a more stately town called Hillerød, where the long winding street through town was lined with nice shops and restaurants, all leading down to an impressive castle on a lake.




But my favorite jaunt was going up along the north coast of Zealand, which is one of the easy access points to Sweden, which I hadn't realized until this trip is so shockingly close to Denmark... like on the other side of this Baltic access way.




I didn't go up the coast for the glimpse of Sweden, though, but instead to visit the seaside beach town of Hornbœk, which was so so lovely. Maybe part of my enchantment was because I got there after the significant heat of that day, which had made strolling the other towns a little unpleasant, and the cool breeze that was blowing across the beach, and the magical light that sets in at this latitude on summer evenings. But it was very charming and a place I wish I could have stayed longer.




By the time this post goes live, I will be back in the States, so I'm saying so long for now. I expect to be back here with more blog posts by mid-September, hopefully beginning an epic adventure I won't go into now (there's a complicated visa I need to procure so I don't want to jinx it) except to say that my next missive should be from Budapest...and then we'll go from there. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment