Monday, July 9, 2018

July 4th on Ice

Despite the cold, wind, and dark, we celebrated the 4th of July in style at McMurdo. I am always kind of sad being away from Wisconsin on the 4th of July since my family has so many wonderful traditions and activities around that holiday. So it was nice to balance some of that nostalgia/melancholy with festivities here.


My McMurdo friend L, who is seriously awe-inspiring in her ability to rally and recruit people to participate in the fun events she likes to plan, spearheaded a 4th of July parade. It was the third annual such event at McMurdo and has to be the southernmost parade on the planet. Given the conditions, it lasted about 5 minutes and went for one block. But it gave me an inordinate amount of joy and energy and entertainment. L even made a video of the parade so you can see us in action down here. Just check it out using this YouTube link. I'm in the color guard (following the ambulance and baton twirler) and am the one in the purple jacket wearing the crazy pink and white wig. The whole thing is probably just going to look like a whole lot of inexplicable ridiculousness to you all at home, so sometime if you're actually interested, when I'm back, I will watch it with you and explain the back story and local significance of all the elements of this momentous event. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment