Monday, March 12, 2018

Evening at Hut Point

I'm a couple weeks late in posting this, but there was one night shortly after the last summer plane left, when it had been such a beautiful day that when I finished work in the evening I decided to take the 15-20 minute walk out to Hut Point, where the English explorer Robert Scott's supply hut still stands, to enjoy the sunset. Also, there had reportedly been six Adelie penguins hanging around there recently and I'd been meaning to go visit them.

The penguins had moved on, but oh my gosh, was the evening gorgeous. The view back to McMurdo from the point, with the golden sunset light, made even McMurdo (which, I'm not going to lie, is not exactly a charming-looking town) look lovely.


And there was almost NO wind, so that I was able to stand up there for nearly a half-hour before I started getting too chilly, just listening to the seals out on the ice making their strange sounds and watching the sky turn colors and enjoying the extreme peace and quiet. It was an absolute gift.


And left me feeling very lucky to be here.


No comments:

Post a Comment