Wednesday, August 19, 2015

The Netherlands II

Packing a lot into this post! SR and I have been making tracks around The Netherlands from our home base in Utrecht. We wandered around lovely Delft...
 
 



...saw the funky architecture (and street art) of Rotterdam...




 ....and then took a waterbus to Dordrecht...


 

...all in one day! (Thanks, Eurail Pass...)

We also spent a second day in Amsterdam, trying to ignore a consistent grey drizzle by hopping from one museum to another. We saw six of them in a day (my favorite was Rembrandt's house and studio), but still arrived home quite soggy. Then we took a fieldtrip (on another rainy day) out to Arnhem and then to the gates of Veluwe National Park, but hit some travel bumps along the way, oversleeping and then getting on the wrong train, so that by the time we got to the park and learned that there was no point in going in unless we had at least 2.5 hours to spend there, we had to abort the visit. Oh, well! Some days work out, others don't.

While all of this gallivanting around NL was really nice, our home base of Utrecht was really one of the highlights of our week in the country. I loved getting on a bike every morning to pedal to the train station and pedaling back on the same streets each evening, along canals, on the friendly bike lanes. And the more we explored the town itself, the more I liked it.


I don't have a picture of it, but we took a tour of the before-its-time Rietveld Schroder House, which was fascinating. We also explored the gardens of the Dom Church, admired Dom Tower (the highest in The Netherlands!)...


...and climbed all 465 stairs to the top, stopping along the way to appreciate the massive, still operational bells hanging impressively high up in the tower...


...and loving the view from the top, which gave me an even better appreciation for Utrecht.



I would happily stay here longer, but an entire week of our 4.5-week trip has already flown by, and it is time to head south to the land of beer (SR's favorite thing) and chocolate (my favorite thing). See you soon in Belgium!

3 comments:

  1. Be sure to have some chocolate for. One of my addictions. 🇩🇪

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing post! After coming across your blog, I realized the actual beauty & charm of the Netherlands. I always wanted to visit some nice European countries with my lovely wife but couldn’t due to work commitments. However, I am happily retired now and I can easily apply for a Netherlands Visa UK online. I will also take some tips from your blog to start preparing my Netherlands travel itinerary. Hope my wife loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Netherlands is a fantastic destination with a lot to explore. If you're planning a trip, be sure to look into the Online Netherlands Visa options. It will make your journey much smoother and more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete