Tuesday, August 11, 2015

More of the Wild Atlantic Coast counties

From Shannon, I drove north to see more of the Wild Atlantic Coast (that's really how they refer to it here!). I got to check out the charming town of Sligo...
 

...and its scenic environs, including Glencar waterfall, a hike to the cairn at the top of Queen Maeve hill/Knocknarea, and Y.B. Yeats's grave at Drumcliffe. Horseman, pass by!


The Sligo visit was a field trip taken while staying in Lahardaun, County Mayo, with the cousin of the husband of the former co-worker of my Aunt J. This trip is going to be full of visiting friends and friends of friends (that's basically how I planned the trip--just going from place to place where I knew someone I could prevail upon to stay with), but that tenuous connection takes the cake right away. Regardless, P & J warmly welcomed me into their gorgeous rural home...


...and went far out of their way to show me some highlights of County Mayo, including being my own personal shuttle bus for the 20-km bike ride along the Greenway from Newport to Mallaranny. Gorgeous scenery, even on a day beset with wind and occasional showers.


We checked out the cute, resort-y town of Westport, including Matt Malloy (of the Cheiftans)'s bar. I wandered to the back room to appreciate the live music going on, and only after I'd stood around a bit and taken some pictures did I realize there was a buffet table set up next to me and I was probably crashing a private party. Oops! Speaks to the easy goingness of the Irish that no one confronted me!


We also stopped by for a view of Crough Patrick, the famous peak from where Saint Patrick reportedly stood to cast the snakes from Ireland and survey the lovely rolling land around him.


P.S.: The view from the house where I was staying, complete with rainbow:


From Mayo, I headed down to County Galway to an equally amazing spot--the old farmhouse that my friend K's parents, J & P, restored from a ruined shell into this absolutely adorable abode near Loughrea.


My cup really runneth over, as J & P also took the time to take me on a field trip around to all of the premier sites of their area, which includes the monastic ruins at Kilmachduagh...


...Yeats Tower, Coole park (Lady Gregory's former estate), and the gorgeous, detailed stained glass windows of St. Brendan's Cathedral in Loughrea.


So, this is my last post from Ireland!...at least for the foreseeable future. Eighteen days here has flown by but has also gone wonderfully slow thanks to the relaxed pace of life here, which I LOVE. I already have a return trip all planned out and waiting for me next time I am lucky enough to make it happen. For now, though I'm moving on "to the continent"! See you in The Netherlands...

No comments:

Post a Comment