Saturday, February 22, 2014

More Little Corn

My bonus days on Little Corn did not go to waste, oh no. First of all, if I'd left when my silly plane ticket actually said I was supposed to, I would have missed my first scuba diving experience, which was awesome. Lots of work, all that equipment.
 

But one of the other divers had an underwater camera, which was very cool, so even though that meant even more equipment, it's fun to have the experience documented.


That's me giving the "all okay" signal!


And check out the remora in the middle of this picture. It looked like a little miniature shark (but is not).


Also a part of my freebie days in paradise: going to the southern point of the island with JG and JW (crazy how each part of the island has such a different feel)...


And going to visit this great farm operation in the southern section, where they're actually successfully growing greens (not an easy feat in this climate), along with everything else you can imagine.


On the morning of my last day, I got up even earlier than has been my habit since yoga training, and I took a walk to climb the (frighteningly rickety) island lighthouse. The 360 view of the entire island from the top was as completely gorgeous as promised.


Then I just started following paths to other parts of the island. So many hidden beaches and interesting "neighborhoods" (though in one sense the whole island is a single neighborhood) full of colorful locals. I've been seeing the guy with the white hair everywhere and was thrilled to get to sneak a picture of him. JW pointed out that being here is like being on a cruise ship. You see the same people day after day, and even though you might not even have officially met them, you start to feel like you know them.





Sigh. I'm going to miss this place, this food.



Though it involved an embarrassing travel snafu, I'm really grateful that I ended up staying on Little Corn for an entire week. I think it's the longest I've ever stayed anywhere while actively touring/traveling. It was a treat and something I should do more often when I find places I like. Fun to feel like a part of the life here. Easy to imagine staying forever, which a lot of people clearly do. And lovely to have such an easy, relaxing time with sweet friends that I can't believe I didn't even know when I first arrived in Nicaragua less than 7 weeks ago!


But don't worry, the Nica adventure isn't over quite yet. Will report back on my last stop soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment