Friday, April 23, 2021

Time for an adventure: Alaska!

Well, hello, friends, family, and anyone else poking around here!

Long time, no see.

It has been so long since my last blog post that the interface of Blogger has changed and I'm a little disoriented. But let's give it a whirl. Because after the past year of trying to keep my feet grounded during COVID, I've gotten a contract to spend the first half of the Arctic summer season at Toolik research camp in northern Alaska. 

But before that can happen, a requisite quarantine in Fairbanks to make 100% sure I don't take COVID into camp. So I have been chilling for near two weeks now at Wedgewood Resort, on the north side of Fairbanks, in my super spacious, comfy own room.


That's just the living room. There's also an alley kitchen, a little dining area, a separate bedroom, and of  course a bathroom. I've been doing some work trainings and orientations online, but other than that I sleep  when I want, read, write, talk with friends...what more could a girl ask for?

Also, though I've largely been confined to the room since I got here last Monday, I am allowed to go out for as many walks as I want as long as I don't get within six feet of another person. And the weather  has been GLORIOUS. Sixty degrees and brilliantly sunny every single day. So I've been walking and walking  and walking in the beautiful sunshine.

When I first got here there were several feet of snow on the ground. And the benches.


But every day it's been melting and melting and melting.


Because of the snow (and the melting) it's been easier to adopt a daily walking routine around this adorable neighborhood near where I'm staying than through the woods behind the property. I've walked past these houses many dozens of times now and they make me really happy.

Sometimes I still put on my boots and visit the woods anyway. Though I've been in a really contained area since I arrived, there's lots of beauty nearby and I'm grateful to be here.





No comments:

Post a Comment