Monday, April 6, 2020

Goin' home

Exactly one week after we'd boarded the NBP and left Palmer, most of us got off the vessel...


...and climbed into minivans that took us directly to the Punta Arenas airport to begin the series of flights that took us home.


Punta Arenas to Santiago (where the check-in area was essentially empty, which would have felt incredibly eerie but for the cheerful pop music playing over terminal speakers)...


...and where nearly every flight except ours to Miami was cancelled.


Things were not any better in Miami, of course...


...and my domestic flights to Charlotte and then Milwaukee were both almost completely empty.


Given that and the deepening disruption, illness, stress, and hardship going on in the world, it felt so lucky and amazing to even be getting home.

Which I did, about 9 days after leaving Palmer. I am now happily snugged into my parents' house in Wisconsin (while they are hunkered down in Arizona) doing my two week quarantine and looking forward to spending quality time with my sister and her kids. Hopefully, sooner than later, I'll be able to widen that circle to seeing and spending time with more friends and family. But of course it remains to be seen how long it will be until that is possible. In the meantime, I am well and content and have everything I need (and more). Who knows when I'll next be able to travel outside the U.S. But whenever I do, I'll see you here! Stay safe and healthy, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment