Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Fur seals are here!

I'm still totally incompetent at telling apart the various types of seals we've seen down here so far this year (Weddells, elephants, leopards, and crabeaters)--like, comically incompetent--but everyone has been promising me that once the fur seals start showing up, I'll totally be able to identify them.

And they were right! They arrived late this year but have arrived with a bang. Suddenly they're everywhere. And everyone was right: the fur seals look more like sea lions and like to push themselves up on their front flippers so they look like dogs sitting at attention. Whereas the other seals all just laze about like big lumps. (Sure, the leps will eat you if it's convenient for them, but that's not an identifying characteristic when they're asleep on a bergie-bit, which is how I usually see them.)

I appreciate the distinctive behavior, fur seals. Keep it up!




No comments:

Post a Comment