Thursday, June 13, 2019

More work

Here are a few more glimpses into my job as a Trades Helper here at Summit.

It was always a total mystery to me how these elevated buildings were kept level...


...so it was a total thrill to me that I actually got to learn how to level the Big House at Summit.


There is also a huge amount of digging holes and filling them back in. This sounds ridiculous but it's so often true. Sometimes we have to dig a trench for a new cable, or dig up any number of things that have gotten buried in the snow as it accumulates. I have lost count of the number of holes I've already dug that I could stand in up to my waist at least.


And Summit is largely a walking station; there are some snow mobiles but people are encouraged to man-haul things whenever possible, so the sleds are our friends.


All this manual labor is made possible by our morning stretch sessions, which mostly consist of belly laughing.


We have a particularly awesome construction crew this spring, I'm told, and I know for sure that it's been an hilariously fun time. I'm so grateful to have gotten to know all these people. (I'm sounding nostalgic because we're not done yet, but we only have a week left...)


No comments:

Post a Comment