Thursday, August 2, 2018

Weekly snapshot #23

I'm suddenly having a memory of the springtime at Pole, as light started to come back into the sky, and every week I thought, "Geez, it's so BRIGHT out," I was feeling like I might be blinded, and the sun hadn't even risen yet. That feeling is back now. The other day someone asked me if we sell sunglasses in the store, and a bystander said, "Sunglasses? What do you need SUNglasses for?" And we all stood around perplexed for a moment with our winter brains till the inquirer said, "Well...I mean...the sun is going to come up soon, right?" And then I spent the next fifteen minutes trying to imagine where in my room I stashed the sunglasses that I had with me all the time for the first month+ that I was here. The times, they are a-changin'.



Though the sky is getting brighter by the day--and the actual first sunrise of the spring is just a couple weeks away--the temps are some of the lower we've had this winter and there's lots of complaining going on about the cold. Which always seems funny to me in Antarctica. Even here, where it's cold and you know it's going to be cold, people don't get tired of commenting on and complaining about it....



No comments:

Post a Comment