Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Midwinter dinner

Saturday night was our Midwinter Dinner celebration, timed with the winter solstice and the half-way point of our darkness down here.




Antarctic explorer Robert Scott and his men celebrated in their fashion....








...but life at McMurdo is a far, cushy cry from those days. (And not just because there are some women here now.)


I'm pretty annoyed with myself--I failed to take enough pictures of the festivities to make a good blog post. There are several really talented photographers here who I knew/assumed would take much better pictures than I could and that I'd get their photos after, but it's not really fair to post other people's photos on my blog, so that means I don't have much for you. BUT here's a few. On Friday I was lucky enough to get to go to Scott Base's Mid-winter dinner in advance of ours. There are only 12 New Zealand winter-overs but they threw an amazing dinner for 60, inviting 48 of the 133 of us at McMurdo over to their place for the occasion.



THERE WERE SO MANY VEGETABLES!!!



I did an even worse job taking pictures at our own mid-winter dinner the next night, but the committee that planned our underwater theme completely outdid themselves with the decorations, starting with this giant orca at the entrance to the galley.



And the post-dinner celebration at Gallagher's pub was so fun and festive and full of wonderful new friends.




Half-way through the darkness!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment