Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Quilotoa Loop

From Cuenca, my long-time friend and current travel buddy D and I hopped a bus for the 8-hour ride north to the town of Latacunga, which isn't really on many people's travel itineraries for it's own sake, but is the access point for our next destination: The Quilotoa Loop.

I did really like Latacunga for its own sake for the one overnight we spent there, though. A beautiful public park, mellow vibe, the same relaxed, friendly people I've been encountering everywhere in Ecuador...it was a great stop.
 

The next morning though, we continued on our way on a regional bus into the high-altitude, ruggedly gorgeous area around legendary Lake Quilotoa. We made our home for a few nights at an amazing ecolodge (that I would and will recommend to anyone making a future trip to Ecuador!) in the town of Chugchilan. The skylit attic of this hobbit-like abode was my room for the stay.


And check out the view from the seat of one of the composting toilets!:


The town of Chugchilan was VERY quiet. But also beautiful in its own way.




You can't beat these views, right?


Or maybe you can, because one of the days we were here, D and I--plus two new Australian friends we met along the way--did a beautiful but kind of crazy hike. We got a pick-up ride to the town of Quilotoa, which is situated right by the lake of the same name. This volcanic crater lake, according to local legend, has no bottom, though I wouldn't be surprised if they think that because no one ever really wanted to try to explore for that. It's pretty chilly up here! (At about 12,000 ft.)


But spectacularly gorgeous. After we walked around about 1/3 of the crater rim, we dropped down and walked the 8 or so miles back to Chugchilan, which probably ranks in the top 5 of insane hikes I've taken. Suffice it to say if we'd known in advance how sketchy parts of the trail were, we would definitely have taken an alternate route, but since it's done, we now have a nice, harrowing, funny (in retrospect) story to tell. Which I'm happy to tell in person next time I see you. But for now, I'll just leave you with this last shot of beautiful Lake Quilotoa. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment