Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Brisbane to Byron

The final three weeks of the trip are focused on Queensland, the only Australian state we hadn't been to so far. We flew into Brisbane and enjoyed a day exploring the city, including a sight-seeing cruise on the Brisbane River...
 

...and just watching the city's residents do their thing on a beautiful Sunday afternoon.


From there, we picked up another campervan and took a slight detour from our Queensland coast plan to dart a couple hours south along the Gold Coast, with its gorgeous beach views...


...to Byron Bay in northern New South Wales, with its equally gorgeous beaches and a town that I loved as much as everyone said I would.


One fun thing about visiting Byron is that I got to meet the woman who created the yoga teacher training program I did in Nicaragua in January. She wasn't teaching that training herself, because she was busy having the adorable baby in this picture. So it was great to be able to put a face to the name and meet her whole family.


I also finally convinced SR to go lawn bowling with me. We've been seeing lawn bowling clubs everywhere we've gone in Australia for the past three months, and since I'd never tried it I really wanted to. We're still not 100% clear on the rules and the scoring, but we got to try our hands at it (or "muck around at it," as the woman who showed us the ropes said) and it was a fun way to spend a couple hours. We were getting better when some clouds rolled in and a rain shower ended the game.


Byron Bay is also a very hippie town where you can find all of the yoga (I indulged in a couple classes) and raw, organic food you could possible want, and where I was thrilled to have a ridiculously good smoothie.


Definitely a place I'd be happy to return to someday, but now it's time to head back north to see all the Queensland coast has to offer as the end of our trip ticks ever-closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment