Monday, February 4, 2013

El Yunque

Magical, magical day spent in El Yunque rainforest. Is it too nerdy to say that I think rainforests are my favorite ecosystem? Too bad, I just said it. Saw some of the largest bamboo stands I've ever seen. Hiked to Mina Falls and got just warm enough along the way to venture into one of the cold pools tucked into the rocks cascading down into its valley. Then hiked to the top of El Yunque peak, the highest point in the park. This was particularly great because (1) it was still less than 4,000 feet at its peak, teaching me that it is actually fun and not that strenuous to climb mountains when you're at an altitude at which you can do simple things like breathing as you go, and (2) it was a clear, clear day, allowing us to see our entire vacation from the top: downtown San Juan, Culebra island, Las Cazebas de San Juan...Wow.






1 comment:

  1. These photos are beautiful, Lindsey! Looks like you are having a great time. :-)

    ReplyDelete